Monday, October 19, 2009

On dreams

Monday 4.33pm, 19.10.09

When I was choosing my university degree, I had some options open to me. None of which I wanted. Parents, always being parents wanted the "four corners" for me - Doctor, Pharmacist, Lawyer, Business". And if I wanted something else its always "Do something commercially viable, that will help you get a job," etc.

I suppose there is SOME bit of wisdom in that, so I was surprised when they agreed to psychologist, after exhausting my degree wish list (at that time) of media, chef, music, acting, programming...

So now I'm a psychologist, in training, waiting for the day I can financially support myself and go follow my dreams.

I have a dream...

1. Once I am earning a reasonable income, able to support myself, and live by my own cash I absolutely will, and must go learn how to cook.
My dream. Is to become a chef. The creation of culinary greats that bring universal joy to people. That combines the impossible with the heart, creating things never tasted before.

Oh it would be my ultimate goal to own a loved eating place. Where people anywhere would come and enjoy. I already have some of the sketch of this incredulous plan sketched out. After getting my masters, or working and being able to have a side hobby (probably around my mid-30's or 40's) I would go join a culinary school, one of the greats. And then start my way from the bottom again, interning in restaurants, gaining experience. And then when i'm around 50 I would have enough experience to start my own place.

Of course these things never work out the way I want them to. But that's why its called a dream. Impossible? Maybe. But as long as there's a 1% possibility, I won't give up.

2. Today, after my own personal miracle (see previous blog) I celebrated by downloading Freddy Rodriguez's Light in the Darkness (2009), one of the albums in the line of universally themed inspired worship.

That's right. Universal worship.
It's my experience that some christians insist there is a "right" way to worship. Theres nothing wrong with living your whole life with one worship style, or praise format. But don't get judgmental about people who do it differently.
Back home I as a drummer in church I grew up with some inflences of certain "styles" namley the Chinese style, the old retro style, and Hillsong started encroaching the scene around 1999. In fact i remember listening to all the cd's of christian music from the Australian continent which resulted in my worship leader commenting "wah your drumming style too western stylela! Can make it more chinese style?"

For me to go into the technicalities of different drumming styles would take forever, but it stuck on me. Coming to Australia caused me to be saturated with the Hillsong style. Now, this isn't a bad thing.

But we need to know that the same elements that make praise and worship great - truthful surrender - can be found on other continents, but in different forms. Listening to real gospel, with all the choirs and heavy R&B tones might seem unchristian at first. But listen to the people behind it. The words are the same. It's just the different way they sing it. Listen to latin-influenced praise. God dwells in the praises of His people.

Which is why. My dream one day. Is to bring people together everywhere with my drumming. I know. When i first started I had this self fulfilling goal of "mastering every style in the world". Now the words might be the same, but the reason is different. It's for His glory. I dream, that one day my drums would unite people from all backgrounds to the glory of His name.

I checked. An electronic drum set (I live with thin walls and sensitive neighbours) costs about $1000. And my church still doesn't have any openings for drummers.
But if the incidences of the past days are anything to live by, it's to trust God. I mean, He already gave me a guitar! I will nurture this seed. And pray that when the day comes for me to play, it'll be with His strength, and for His glory.
 
posted by Jared Wong at 12:45 PM, |

2 Comments:

  At 11:30 AM Anonymous e-lyn said:
a cheF??? OMG~~~ hahaZ! pLease do remember 2 ajak us over 2 b ur guinea pigs!!! when u're gonna prepare nice food! yummy~
  At 3:05 PM Anonymous Jared Wong said:
haha anytime!!
but you're a housewife should be able to cook quite well also. =P